Friday, October 19, 2012

The Island Life...

Phu Quoc is different. I've never been to Cancun, the Caribbean, or any other family vacation spot but I know this place is different. There aren't any rich families with bratty kids running around. The water is warm and the people here are friendly. Im staying in a beach front bungalow for $7 a night (picture). The island is only about 10 miles from the border of Cambodia.
Last night we walked to a fresh fish market. They had all types of fish. Barracuda, red snapper, tuna, crab, lobster, snail, and a bunch more I can't remember (picture). I had tuna. They cut it right off the fish and threw it on the bbq for me. It was one of the best dinners I've had so far. The days are warm here (about 88 degrees) and time slows down. It's relaxing. Just what I needed, some time off the backpacker trail. It was about a 3 hour boat ride from Rach Gia, Vietnam to the island.
Our last night in Rach Gia was special. We were walking around the streets looking for a place to sit down and have a drink but most places were closed. We finally found a food stall serving beer. We sat at a small table with some local Vietnamese guys about are age. They liked us and called some of their friends who came and joined us (picture). It happened to be one if their birthdays so we all sang (sung?? Idk) happy birthday to him. It was a fun night. We left around 1 am and headed back to our place for bed. Most of the communication between us was done through reading body language. It's challenging and funny. A lot of times we would look at each other and have no idea what the other person was trying to say. Quite the experience.
Some people outside my family have told me they've read my blogs...that's awesome. I never know if anyone reads them. My time so far in Southeast Asia has been rewarding. I've met people from all over the world, Spain, Germany, Australia, Italy, England, Norway, Sweden, Brazil, Korea, and probably more. It's almost 3 pm here and the volleyball nets are calling for me. Some of the pictures are from Rach Gia and some are from Phu Quoc. I love and miss all my friends and family back home. Until next time...love

No comments:

Post a Comment